List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    RE: Use of the VideoPlayObject for thumbnails
From:       Simon MacMullen <simon.macmullen () aspectgroup ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-07 16:53:55

Ewald Snel:
> I will try to implement it this weekend.

Great. Thank you very much.

> I'm not sure if that [knowing when you've finished seeking] is possible
> (it's not AFAIK).

Hmmm. This would be really nice, because what I'd ideally like to do is scan
frame 1, see if it's boring[1], if so scan frame 2, then 4, then 8 etc. This
is to avoid the problem Apple Quicktime Viewer has, where many
commercially-produced video clips fade up from black, and so preview as a
black rectangle.

Maybe I could create a KnowWhenYouveFinishedSeekingPlayObject interface and
have xineVideoPlayObject implement this. Does xine inform you on changes of
state, or am I dreaming?

Cheers, Simon

[1] "Boring" means "Standard deviation of pixel brightness is below a magic
value". I already have this in the thumbnail generator and it works quite
well.