List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    mp3 decoder zoo
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2002-05-03 9:14:09

Hello,

kde-mm has now all the major mp3 decoders which exists
in CVS.

Oh no, not correct.

freeamp still uses the xine decoder, right?
Maybe we should check it in for completness?
Have I forgot anything? Maybe the ISO reference
implementation?

Anyone interested to reduce the mp3 decoder zoo?

Here are some suggestions:

remove mpg123 decoder completely
(and the vorbis plugin based on this source)

decide wether to go with libmad or splay.
libmad is very fast, but im not sure
if the api is ready for streaming.
And its "only" GPL, maybe we should
have for mp3 decoding an LGPL decoder?