List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Arts::Video
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-04-10 19:04:19

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 18:10, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
> as an alternative. I think it's easier doing something
> new from scratch then adding tons of wrappers around
> some c code...

Think of all the codecs and de-/multiplexers that have to be
rewritten/wrapped, the synchronization issues between audio and video, all
the things that you could get for free by writing a few wrappers and are very
easy to test and get stable. (And there are already people working on C++
wrappers for GStreamer).

I don't want to argue against the advantages of Arts, and I don't want to stop
anybody from doing Arts::Video. But I doubt that it is realistic to expect
results soon. Just take a look at GStreamer and the amount of work that those
guys already did. There are 28 developers in the SF project, and IIRC several
people working or at least have worked full-time on GStreamer, and the
project exists for over two years.

bye...