List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Xine or GStreamer
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2002-04-10 8:10:23

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 12:47:24AM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday April 10, 2002 12:37, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > Why not start with something really simple, and drop
> > the "KDE needs DVD support now" for a while?
>
> Actually, I've had no interest in DVDs, aside from the Ogle UI in
> kdenonbeta called Reagan.  My primary interest is playback of video files
> in Kaboodle with embedding and fullscreen support.  Basically I Want to
> replace mpeglib and the use of aRts for video.

Ah ok, then use xine. xine is nice for playback.

> You've repeatedly told us that arts as-is is unfit for real video
> playobjects, and you've warned us that mpeglib is all-but-unmaintained, so
> I'm looking for alternatives to mpeglib for video decoding. And while I'm
> at it, I may as well just skip aRts entirely for the video playback,
> instead writing a KDE API around some other video playing library.

I prefer the idea to add video support to arts.
If you are writing the xine playback support, we may find
a way to send the images back to arts, once the arts/video lib
is ready.

> I've gleaned from your answer that you're not impressed with Xine, and you
> think GStreamer is more flexible, so I'll count you as a vote for
> GStreamer. :-)

Uhh no. GStreamer is a monster. xine for playback maybe
as an arts Playobject, with the
option to send images back to arts, this is my vote.
(But we should not call this "KDE video API",
maybe "KDE playback API", or "xine plugin for KDE")

regards,

Martin