List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Hayes and remote files
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-03-25 22:39:02

On Sunday March 24, 2002 11:14, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Sunday 24 March 2002 23:48, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Sunday March 24, 2002 02:16, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > > Say I have a .desktop like the attached one, Noatun could stream
> > > that, no? I know you dislike the idea, but I think that checking
> > > .desktop files for remote directories and files would be a splendid
> > > idea..
> >
> > We can put support for such redirections into the KPlayObjectFactory.
> > This way Kaboodle will support them, too.
>
> The desktop file is just a container for the URL. I suggest to implement
> functionality to extract the URL in something like a KDesktopFile class,
> but not in KPlayObjectFactory. I strongly suggest not clobbering the
> interface of the factory.

I see three ways of getting this done:

1) Every user of libartskde implements its own special case handling of
desktop files, and passes the contained URL to KPlayObjectFactory.

2) libartskde implements its own special case handling.

3) aRts implements the special case handling, triggered on desktop file
mimetype.

If I code it, it's going to be #2.  #1 duplicates code needlessly, and #3
requires rewriting KSimpleConfig in STL.

--
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com