List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Excessive CPU usage when playing audio with noatun+artsd+mpeglib
From:       Stefan Gehn <sgehn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-03-20 12:53:07

On Donnerstag, 21. März 2002 03:28, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> Forgot to mention that the card is an Ensoniq 1371, and I'm using
> the kernel driver and the 'threaded OSS' mode of aRts.
>
> Actually, I'm not now. I switched to ALSA and it's working better
> artsd threads are taking 2.9% and 1.9% CPU. Still a bit much, but
> usable.

I get about the same numbers on my machine for mp3-playback.

- celeron 800
- sb live! 1024 player
- kernel 2.4.17 (will be 2.4.18 in a few days)
- artsd settings
  o 232ms latency
  o NO full-duplex
  o realtime-priority
  o rest is default I think :)

In general one can say it's all about the drivers today. There seem to be a
ton of soundcard-drivers artsd cannot cope with or where massive problems
show up. I have to say I'm rather happy with my SB Live! and I won't buy a
different soundcard in the near future :)

bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn@gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein