List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    I/O to video files
From:       Christian Tusche <christian.tusche () stud ! uni-goettingen ! de>
Date:       2002-02-28 18:29:39

Hi!
As i see, there are several attemps to improve the video-support in KDE.
One of the main issues seems to be the underlying i/o-infrastrucure to
access the different videofile-formats.
Some time ago, i've started to write some Programs to record movies from a
v4l-compatible video card and to convert them to different video-formats.
This started for my personal use only, but has gone quite far now. So i
decided to put the code online. ( You can get it here:
   http://merkur.2y.net/av_convert/
there is no documentation or hompage yet )
The central part of it is a C++ library to do all the i/o with
video-files. The library itself uses plugins as backends for accessing
different fileformats and for de-/encoding audio and video.
The formats currently supported are:
  Quicktime (with quicktime4linux - backend)
  AVI ( uses some code from avifile)
  WAV
  yuv4mpeg ( yuv-stream over stdin/stdout )

I post this here in the hope, that i could be helpful for imporving
multimedia in KDE.
Any questions or comments are welcome.

   Christian