List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Kwintv crashes out on startup, worked before.
From:       Guy Zelck <gzelck () freegates ! be>
Date:       2001-12-20 21:57:12

Hi George,

I have these (kwintv -v) versions on my LMD8.1 system:
Qt: 2.3.1
KDE: 2.2.1
KWinTV: 0.8.10

I compiled kwintv using the mandrake spec file without a glitch and used
kwintv without a problem with my Dart (Aims) TV-Radio Live card until
some days ago my scsi-bus froze; I was forced to reset manually.
Allthough I have the journaled XFS file system, when I rebooted a lot of
my KDE config files were filled with ^@ characters rendering KDE
unusable. I checked each file and deleted the faulty ones since KDE
re-creates them with default values, so I was able to get my system back
fully working except for, guess once, kwintv.

The symptom is that kwintv comes up perfectly with sound and then after
a few seconds crashes out and since KDE's crash handler takes over I
still see a perfect image but without sound this time. Exiting the
handler brings everything down off course.  There's nothing wrong with
the card or v4l since my gkrellm radio plugin can still play radio and
xawtv still plays tv like before. I operate as a non-root user.

This is the output I get in my terminal window:
 /dev/video [v4l2]: v4l2 support seems to be missing.  Using v4l instead.
DCOPServer up and running.
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kwintv path = <unknown> pid = 8920
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.

I tried a lot to resolve this but after each try it crashes out the same.
- delete all kwintv config files : kwintv re-installs them and then crashes.
- re-install the kwintv rpm I compiled : nope.
- re-compile kwintv & re-install : nope.
- try as root : nope.
- create a new user so no old kde config files around : nope.
- re-installed all fonts since the last line of a 'strace kwintv' is
about a font:
readv(3, [{"9-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal-"..., 22516}, {"", 0}], 2) =
22516
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) --- : nope.
- checked permissions on /dev/video* and others : no obvious wrongs there.
- re-compiled with --debug-enabled (configure): crashhandler reports
this backtrace (last relevant lines):
(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1024 (LWP 9057)]
0x40e1e1d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#0  0x40e1e1d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x40e9bef8 in __check_rhosts_file () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x4059e2ae in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler () from
/usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3

#3  0x40d26847 in _IO_2_1_stderr_ () from /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

- ran kwintv --nocrashhandler : got a core of 7MB.

This goes beyond my capacities, do you have a clue what could be going
wrong?
Maybe it has nothing to do with the crash I had but with a setting in
KDE I recently switched on. Remember, xawtv works and as far as I know
everything else on my system does. I love kwintv so hate missing it.

Now for what could be a bug : since I have a radio & a tv on the card it
happens that I listen to the radio and then switch on kwintv without
stopping the radio 1st; well, kwintv then eats all memory & all swap
space while delivering this msg continually loop:
kwintv: WARNING: Fatal: v4l1: VIDIOC_G_AUDIO in ::v4l1if

I sincerely hope you can help me with this,

Thanks,

Guy.