List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    playing an mp3 with arts
From:       Scott Wheeler <scott () slackorama ! net>
Date:       2001-12-13 16:15:26

Ok, I'm doing the horrible thing of jumping on a list and sending off an
email before the requisite amount of time on the list, so flame away.

I'm working on QTagger (http://www.slackorama.net/oss/qtagger/)--trying to
get it ready for another release--and would like to be able to do a simple
"play this mp3".  I looked through the arts documentation and found code that
allowed me to easily play wave files, but really couldn't find anything that
was helpful for playing mp3s except for a few indirect references (no code or
documentation _how_ to do so) to kmedia2.

The code that I through together in a test file is here:
===
using namespace Arts;

int main()
{
  Dispatcher dispatcher;

  SimpleSoundServer server(Reference("global:Arts_SimpleSoundServer"));
  if(server.isNull()) {
    cout << "error" << endl;
  }
  else {
    server.play("/opt/kde2/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav");
  }
  return(0);
}
===
Is there some way to do something similar to this with an mp3?  I found an
old mail from 2000 where Stefan Westerfeld said something about how this
might be supported in the future.  Did it ever happen?

So, I'd like to figure out how to do this.  Is there some source or good
documentation that you guys can point me to?

Thanks,

-Scott Wheeler