List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Convert mp3/ogg files to wav
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-11-02 14:13:43

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:50:21AM +0100, Kai Heitkamp wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I search for an library function to convert mp3 and ogg files to wav.
> Is mpeglib the right libraray and how function is it ? I have a QString with
> the mp3/ogg filename as source and need to convert it to a wav file !
> I could not found a manual or API documentation for mpeglib !
>
> Any hints ?

mpeglib is not meant to be used by qt application. Better use
artsd for this job.

A note about the artsd conversion:

artsd does a int->float conversion because its internally works
with ints. A volume changer works on the floats (scales them)
later they are converted to int again.

In other words: The wav file you will get (may) has nothing to do
                with the real wav file, which would be written
                by a direct mp3/ogg -> wav writer.(remeber this!)

Currently there is no official codec API for KDE.
(Something like acm,vfw under windos)

Maybe we should define such an API.

regards,

Martin