List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    replaceing mpg123 / ogg123 in koncd with aRts
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-23 14:19:23

Hi!

After stepping through the code of koncd, I found that it needs mpg123 /
ogg123 to convert these respective file formats to wav. This would add
additional dependencies to KDE.

While seeking for a convinient solution, Njaard hinted me to the
"Effect_WAVECAPTURE" mcop class for aRts in kdeaddons which produces wav
files from *any* format supported by aRts. This way we can enrich koncd with
even more file formats and get rid of the dependencies.

TODO:
======

- move the WAVECAPTURE "effect" class to kdemultimedia
- rewrite the respective part on koncd to use aRts

Kai, are you interested to do this for the sake of less dependencies? How do
you all think about this? Please CC me as I am not member of this
mailinglist.

Greetings,

</daniel>

--
Daniel Molkentin | The K Desktop Environment | http://www.kde.org
We are not a company, we just produce better code at less costs