List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Ogg mimetype
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 10:57:06

#if Neil Stevens
> On Tuesday October 16, 2001 07:19, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > That's no good - Ogg is not an audio or video format, it's a streaming
> > format. Instead, use application/x-ogg if you don't know what the stream
> > contains ("Streaming media") and audio/x-vorbis ("Vorbis audio") if you
> > can detect this.
>
> Choices, choices, choices...
>
> 1) application/ogg for all ogg
>
> 2) audio/x-vorbis for ogg vorbis, application/ogg for the rest
>
> 3) media/x-ogg for ogg files with known media contents, application/ogg
> for the rest
>
> 1 implements the minimum standard, but offering no UI affordances.  3
> creates a new mimetype category.  I think 2 is the best solution.

I agree. BTW, the FLAC developer just announced that he has made
it possible to put FLAC data inside an Ogg stream. He says he intends
to provide a switch ('-ogg') to enable this when you encode. So now
there is a real possibility of finding something other than Vorbis
data inside Ogg streams. Batten down the hatches, weigh anchor,
hoist the mizzen, and make use of the kicking straps. Or something.

Rik