List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    RE: RE: Fatal mistakes after KDE upgrade
From:       <bholcomb () cableone ! net>
Date:       2001-10-05 13:54:22

I'm can't answer the RH questions.

RPM is a package manager.   When you get an rpm you can install it and it will keep a \
database of what programs are installed, what the versions are, and where all it's \
files are.  They can be updated or removed easily.  The tar file is simply a \
compressed packge of the source (like a zip file in the windows world) that you use \
to make (which configs, and compiles it) the files you need to install.  When you \
install them you get no record of where things went other then in the docs or log \
files.