List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    RE: Fatal mistakes after KDE upgrade
From:       <bholcomb () cableone ! net>
Date:       2001-10-04 13:29:07

My experience (using Caldera Workstation 3.1) was this.

1.  The --nodeps simply slams the files in irregardless of whether you have the \
dependencies satisfied or not and that can cause problems.  The dependencies are \
usually needed and unless you know for sure what you are doing you can cause \
troubles.

2.  There are issues as to which ssl version you need - check through past posts on \
this and the kde-linux list.

3.  The rpm for WS 3.1 had a list of things to do in a specific order.  I am  not \
where I can get that list but it was in the readme for the rpm.  You have to do one \
of the packages first, then libxml2, then pcre, then kdelibs, then kdebase, then the \
rest in any order.

4.  Some recommend doing a rpm -qa | grep kde2 and delete all existing packages for \
kde2.1 first.

5.  Even after you install it you need to do the following (I got this from the list \
when my multimedia did not work).  Do this from runlevel 3.  Evidently some  files \
don't upgrade correctly.

A.  Copy the ~/.kde (or ~./kde2) directory to a safe place.
B.  Delete the above directory.
C.  Delete the dhcop file in ~
D.  Clear out the /tmp directory.
E.  Start KDE up.
F.  Copy app files such as bookmarks, rc files, etc. from where you save ~/.kde2.  \
DON"T copy the whole directory.

Step 5 fixed my problems with multimedia and some others.