List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Can't start artsd (KDE-CVS HEAD), please help
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-09-25 15:04:19

   Hi!

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:22:16AM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> What am I doing wrong, when I get the following error message when trying to
> start the artsd ?
>
> artsd: anyref.cc:49: void Arts::AnyRefHelperStartup::startup(): Assertion
> `anyRefHelper == 0' failed.
> Aborted

Binary compatibility broke last friday, meaning that you have now .0 and .1
versions of the aRts shared libs around (libmcop.so.0/libmcop.so.1 for
instance). For this to work, you need to ensure that no artsd components are
still linking the old libs, as linking both together will fail.

To do so, do

make clean install

in all packages that contain aRts components. It's ok if you just recompile
the directories that actually contain aRts components, such as

kdelibs/arts
kdebase/kcontrol/arts
kdemultimedia
kdeaddons/noatun-plugins
kmusic

I wonder if this would be a good point to invent some magic trickery to
make the new aRts load only new components and the old aRts only load old
components, or even some more generic versioning/expiring mechanism, but I
currently don't have a good plan how this could be done best.

   Cu... Stefan