List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: GSL completely fails to build with gcc 2.95.3
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-09-22 20:33:34

   Hi!

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 08:30:20AM +0200, Malte Starostik wrote:
> With gcc 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease) - the one that comes with Mandrake 7.2,
> GSL doesn't build because:

Thats caused mainly because of the extraflags given by --enable-debug, but
they are given for a reason, so fixing these is a good idea.

> * inline is not supported for C, only C++
> * there are C++-style comments in the C files
> * initializations like this in gslmath.c fail with "initializer element is not
> computable at load time":
>   GslComplex r = { c1.re + c2.re, c1.im + c2.im };

Ok, all of these should be fixed with my recent commit - basically the code
should not contain any gccisms (so I replaced them). Using inline is special:
there will be a glib like configure test in the future (which should enable
inline with most C compilers). Temporarily, I put

#if defined(__GNUC__)
#define inline __inline__
#else
#define inline /* no inline */
#endif

which should work with any compiler.

> I gave up then, no idea if there are more problems; Stefan, please don't tell
> me I need to upgrade my compiler just to build this :((
> Everything else in KDE builds just fine with this gcc.

Of course not. The goal is to get this to compile everywhere where KDE
compiles right now.

   Cu... Stefan