List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    aRts problem
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-21 13:26:59

I'm having some strange problems with KDE 2.2 branch and aRts. artsd always
segfaults during startup. When I restart it from the console I can use the
command line utils like artsdsp and artsplay, but somehow now a single KDE
application then is able to find aRts.
All apps (kaboodle, noatun, artscontrol) produce errors because they can't
connect to the sound server. Removing .mcoprc, .mcop and /tmp/mcop* doesn't
help either.

The system is the Red Hat 7.1 system at work using KDE CVS. I compiled it
just like my SuSE 7.1 box at home where aRts runs without any problems. Since
the console tools do work I don't think it is Red Hat that is to blame this
time (for once ;-).

Any clues on where to look? The app that I need to program has a requirement
for playing OGG and MPEG, so I quite seriously need a working aRts...

For now I don't care if I have to start it manually, as long as I can get it
to work at all. But since even that doesn't work, I'm stuck here :(

Martijn