List:       kde-maemo
Subject:    [Kde-maemo] which to "optify" (is: KDE packaging for Maemo)
From:       ervin () kde ! org (Kevin Ottens)
Date:       2010-02-01 9:03:43

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 09:05:59 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Montag, 25. Januar 2010 19:09:34 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> I think we should be ready to put many of them to /opt, because the list of
> dependencies will grow and in a typical N900 installation there will be
> other packages that occupy '/'.

Well, mainly the Nokia provided packages indeed. AFAIK they push hard for
third parties to install in /opt.

Still, my worry there would be the proliferation of prefixes (/opt/foo,
/opt/bar), with all the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH overhead it'll generate (I'm
also thinking about third party developers there who would need to add each
path by hand because of the rpath issue). So we probably need to have a good
strategy there to limit the number of such prefixes.

I think we could aim at something like this:
 - /opt/qt4-maemo5, which is current prefix for Qt 4.6
 - /opt/kde4-extras-deps, for all the dependencies listed as dependencies
needed for the KDE platform on the wiki, of course excluding qt4-maemo5
 - /opt/kde4, for all things KDE related up to kdesupport

For the second prefix we might want to have a couple of exceptions, I'm mainly
thinking about mysql and shared-mime-info (once we figured out what to do with
this one) there. I'd expect this number to be low.

> Ideally we would not occupy space on '/'.

Except for packages which are interacting "deeply" with the maemo system. But
indeed so far apart from maybe shared-mime-info I don't see much
opportunities.

> The expectation of a typical N900 user will be that she can install other
> packages to their liking and still get Kontact on N900 installed and
> started. (Most people will think 30Gibibyte of space on the device as one
> block.)

Sure, note that in my initial view on the matter I was thinking only about the
kde platform dependencies to not be optified, with the only exception of mysql
and virtuoso which can be somewhat large (although we can still try to
downsize virtuoso more) as they can be reused by some other components. Qt and
KDE for sure need to be optified.

Regards.
--
K?vin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net