List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: Install presence
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-22 10:54:42

On Tuesday June 22 2021 15:43:53 Ian Wadham wrote:

> > I just remembered an episode a few years back. I was discussing a Mac tweak of on \
> > of the plasma components on the plasma-devel ML (could have been DrKonqi, could \
> > have been the platform plugin, or ) and one of the key plasma devs said something \
> > tell-tale like "I think I'm going to break that, just because I can". I presume \
> > it's still easy to elicit a knee-jerk reaction there by invoking the idea of \
> > supporting a relevant set of KCMs on other platforms…
>
> I think this may have been to do with DrKonqi, which was not working on Mac OSX and \
> probably never had worked there. In the second and third quarters of 2014, I was \
> working on fixing DrKonqi and KCrash.

No, it was well after 2014, and well into the KF5 era with its split between KDE \
Frameworks, Applications and Plasma.

> You may have visited the Plasma devs about this, René. During the transition from \
> KDE 4 to KF5, they unilaterally decided to move the source code of DrKonqi from KDE \
> 4's kde-runtime to somewhere in the KF5 Plasma source-code tree, thus making it \
> more-or-less inaccessible for porting to other platforms. I hope it has been \
> returned to somewhere more suitable now.

My DrKonqi port is at 5.17.1.8, from oct. 2019 . It still works so I have little push \
to update it, but back in the day it was still in plasmaland.  I do think there's a \
consensus or at least acceptance of the idea that it should work on all platforms, \
and it even has (had?) support for MSWin debuggers. Either way, it'd be pointless to \
impose the use of the native crash reporter on Mac - it only sends reports to Apple \
;)

> Then the above-mentioned bug report dragged on till after Christmas 2014, because \
> of another bug that appeared only in LINUX versions of DrKonqi after Bugzilla \
> changed versions in July 2014....

There are still occasional glitches (NB: I haven't actually submitted a crash report \
in months!) but those are often related to a backtrace that has become too long. \
Sometimes I'll create a manual bugreport if that happens (and the bug seems severe \
enough) but my patience with crippled tools and arbitrary limits (except the ones I \
put on my own time ;) ) has grown very thin indeed.

Indeed, good luck with the presentation (think of that as said in Han Solo's voice \
O:-) )

R.