List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation on MacOS
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-22 8:33:28

Hi,

I just remembered that some time ago I wrote a small library that allows me to use \
binaries compiled against my own patched qt5-kde with an "official" Qt build: it \
provides the additional symbols that are in qt5-kde but not standard Qt through code \
injection (DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES). That isn't really a kosher thing to do (and \
actively discouraged on newer Mac OS versions) but it brings me to this:

Could we design a kind of Qt plugin that provides an alternative QSP, a bit like how \
the plasma-integration plugin provides the KDE file dialog? In first testing/internal \
approach that could use a similar trick as the one I'm using with my \
QExtStandardPaths (a macro definition given in CPPFLAGS) and if that replaces every \
QStandardPaths::foo() call with (say) a KStandardLocations::foo() call we could just \
as well use an additional link library rather than a plugin.

But ultimately I'm thinking of a plugin that provides alternative methods in \
QStandardPaths which user code could decide to use (or not) and which would by \
default just proxy their standard counterparts. Such a system would provide the same \
kind of flexibility as a solution where qt.conf is used, but in a way that is \
probably easier to deploy on other platforms, less easy to tinker with by mere mortal \
endusers and that probably requires touching less files. It might thus be easier to \
upstream.

A long time ago David Faure pointed out to me that an application-wide solution that \
toggles QSP behaviour throughout an application is best avoided as it has the \
potential of doing that toggle at any time when an application is running. Instead, \
every dynamically loadable component should have its own, fixed QSP behaviour. (This \
is of course relevant mostly if not only for "linuxy" centralised installs.)