List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] closest equivalent to KApplicationPrivate::init() ?
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-01-02 12:46:17

On Saturday January 02 2016 12:50:59 David Faure wrote:

> > I added a "bring application to the foreground" call (to a KWindowSystem helper \
> > function) in there, which alleviated the issue of applications remaining \
> > somewhere in the background on OS X.  I'm still keeping an eye out for central \
> > locations where I could call that helper function.
>
> This would break focus-stealing-prevention.
> Apps started while the user is typing elsewhere shouldn't be brought to the \
> foreground.

Yeah, well, there's a fine line to walk there. It's not like it never happens on \
Linux either. In fact, it happens much more often on Linux than with native OS X \
applications, even if OS X didn't always do so well. You can (again) start an app \
(via Dock or Finder) and then switch back immediately to whatever other app you were \
using, and the new app will open just behind the one you switched back to. I *think* \
that this is something LaunchServices takes care of.

Of course that all doesn't apply to popup messages, password dialogs and the like. \
Hence the fine line remark: I think everyone is used to focus being stolen in certain \
circumstances. I won't call it a small price to pay, but you can also consider that a \
"feature" causing new applications to open in the background systematically is a form \
of focus stealing - a more annoying one at that because most of the time you don't \
notice that it's happening.