List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Review Request 126161: OS X housekeeping
From:       René J. V.  Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-11-30 14:08:33

David Faure wrote:

> Don't, it's the thing that kdeinit was doing initially (since it's what it
> does on linux, whenever possible, i.e. when a .so is found) and which created
> problems on OSX.

I did, and indeed it triggers the "thou shan't do that" issue.

> You seem to be missing one point: every application which provides a .so
> ("kdeinit module") *also* provides a binary, always.

I had that impression, indeed, but only based on what I'd seen and interacted
with.

> what happens on Windows. I never realized you could pass a shared lib to
> kwrapper5, that is definitely not the intended usage, and I can tell you,
> nobody does this ;)

I believe you, but what about code? KDE contains so many helpers and helper
libraries that I almost don't dare to take even your word on it that support for
starting something by loading a shared library is guaranteed to be
superfluous/redundant.

> Yes but I bet it means some symbol lookups happen at runtime rather than at
> link time. I'm not enough of a lowlevel mac toolchain expert to give a fully
> satisfying explanation, but I'm not very surprised.

That might indeed be the case, though probably only if dlopen is used with
whatever options tell it to resolve all symbols at once.

R.