List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] kmix on OSX sensible or not?
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-20 9:09:52

On Friday March 20 2015 18:47:31 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi Marko,
>
> On 20/03/2015, at 5:26 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> > I had an exchange with Christian Esken about kmix and wondered whether
> > you could give me a hint as to whether it makes sense to actually try
> > to build kmix on OSX or whether it's wasted energy just. :-)

Hi,

I'd say it'll be wasted energy, or a nice project for someone who'd want to learn the \
CoreAudio API.

I know KMix as something that's somehow/sometimes accessible from my Linux systray, \
but like Ian I rarely use it. In my case that's because if I do audio output from my \
Linux rigs, it's over HDMI to a good AV amplifier, so the computer's volume should be \
at 100% (= send the raw/bit-perfect signal to the amp).

On OS X we have Audio Midi Setup and the Sound thingy in System Preferences, and I \
just don't see what KMix can provide that those cannot. Not until we have better \
control over the sound playback device in KDE applications: as long as all sound \
output goes to the default CoreAudio device (comparable to "pulse" on Linux, which \
means "use the PulseAudio daemon and however that one is configured") it doesn't make \
sense to provide a mixer application IMHO.

As to the situation on Linux: I think that the "issues" with phonon stem from the \
fact that most distributions configure PulseAudio as the default interface to ALSA, \
which in turn is probably because GTk/Gnome applications cannot use Phonon. If you \
tell Phonon not to use PulseAudio and install the VLC Phonon backend you get much \
better control and probably more direct access to the hardware (= less delays).

Cheers,
R.