List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Multiplatform frameworks
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-04 11:18:42

On Wednesday March 04 2015 21:29:20 Ian Wadham wrote:

> > I don't know exactly how KDE4 enforces raster mode (I thought it was a patch in \
> > one of KDE's overloaded classes).
>
> This is nothing to do with KDE 4.

In a sense, yes it has if not only because it largely defines my frame of reference \
and experience. And indeed, there's this bit in one of the port:kdelibs4 patches:

+#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
+static bool useRaster = true;
+void KApplication::doNotUseRaster()
+{
+    useRaster = false;
+}
+#endif
+
 // this function is called in KApplication ctors while evaluating arguments to \
QApplication ctor,  // i.e. before QApplication ctor is called
+#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
+void KApplicationPrivate::preqapplicationhack(bool GUIenabled)
+#else
 void KApplicationPrivate::preqapplicationhack()
+#endif
 {
+#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
+    // Setting env RasterOff avoids setting raster. Can be used for before/after
+    // testing and to work around an application failing when raster is set.
+    if (getenv("RasterOff") == NULL) {
+        if (useRaster && GUIenabled) {
+            QApplication::setGraphicsSystem(QString("raster"));
+        }
+    }
+#endif
     preread_app_startup_id();

> on your suggested patch at https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44473.  I hope you \
> saw his suggestion.  It is analogous to the QApplication::setGraphicsSystem() \
> method referred to

No, for some reason I don't get alerts despite being on the CC list.

> I described Stefan's trick to you two days ago.  See [1], [2] and [3], to \
> recapitulate.  It achieves
> In closing, I hope you will read carefully what I have said, but I don't care if \
> you disregard it again.

It's not that I disregard things, it's that this way of referring to information you \
and some others use doesn't really fit in with my usual workflow (scroll down to open \
a link, switch to the browser, switch back to email and try to remember where I came \
from while I'm usually occupied with something else and I'm on a limited [netbook, \
iPhone] or heavily loaded system).

I know it takes time to summarise something "in 2 words", so if that's not feasible, \
please paste the link in the text (or use html so you can "hide" the URL). Adding \
"hops" to get to and fro references just isn't efficient; I think that goes for all \
of us. (Also, I come from a scientific discipline where we don't use numbered \
references, but things like (see Bertin et al, 2000), which at least have a meaning \
to people of the field who are up to date with their literature and one of the \
reasons I stopped using LaTeX ages ago :P )

> But please don't go against the Macports, KF5 and Qt5 developers so much.  You

What?? Exactly where have I been going against MacPorts devs  in this context?

> will only make trouble for all of us on KDE-Mac… and we all need to work together
> to solve the technical problems our KDE-Mac group faces.

Just say the word if you'd prefer I step out. I'll be perfectly happy with my KDE4 \
apps for quite some time to come yet, and also probably capable enough to apply my \
own patches where necessary to correct things I really can't agree with by the time \
KF5 starts appearing in MacPorts ... if I'm still running OS X then. Just don't make \
me regret my efforts at making Qt 4 and 5 co-installable in MacPorts.

R.