List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac
From:       Benjamin Reed <rangerrick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-18 15:47:58

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Mike McQuaid <mike@mikemcquaid.com> wrote:

> As an example of my method, here's how to make a Qt application that finds and \
> installs all it's own dependencies in CMake: \
> http://gitorious.org/charm/charm/blobs/master/Charm/CMakeLists.txt#line228
> This lets "make package" build a droppable .app installer of this Qt application on \
> OSX. I could change one line and make it create .pkg installers instead. The .dmg \
> is 6.4MB and the installed .app is 20MB. This somewhat destroys your claim that \
> "bundling a Qt framework inside the .app makes the .app grow by a few hundred MB".
> Patches/bugs are currently in the CMake bug tracker which, when fixed, should make \
> this almost a one-liner.

I'm obviously a supporter of Fink, being one of the core maintainers
and all, but I think trying to package fink with a frontend would be a
nightmare.  First, what do you do with people with existing Fink
installs?  Upgrade their dependent binaries with new debs,
potentially?  Make the KDE packages in somewhere other than /sw?

I'd rather work on making CPack Do The Right Thing for all of KDE out
of the box, which benefits other platforms as well.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development

Blog: http://www.raccoonfink.com/