List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Binary fink repository
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-06-21 12:42:44

On 6 Jun 2010, at 16:48, Carlos Russo wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm often annoyed with the time that it takes to build KDE every time \
> there is a new KDE version. It would be nice if there was a repository \
> with precompiled binaries, akin to what happens in the linux world... I \
> know that you can add a binary repository to fink, so the million dollar \
> question is:
> Has anybody already set up a fink repository for binaries?

I don't think so.

> If not, is there someone that is a bit more knowledgeable and that knows \
> how to do this?  If KDE.org or another organization would be willing to \
> provide the space in a server, I could volunteer in uploading binaries \
> for 10.6  (provided I'm given instructions on how to compile and upload \
> them) :-)

Great idea. I think it's worth talking to the Fink maintainers for this, \
presumably they host some of the binaries? Otherwise, the KDE sysadmin team \
might be able to help.

> This would definitely lower the barrier for the adoption of KDE in the \
> OSX world.

In some ways, I'm not sure we want this just yet. KDE on Mac is still \
_very_ rough round the edges and I'm not sure it's ready for widespread \
release yet.

Thanks for the thoughts though!

--
Cheers,