List:       kde-mac
Subject:    [KDE/Mac] Problem with installation of KDE Mac 4.1 beta 1 packages
From:       "Dmitriy Buldakov" <dmitriy.buldakov () toatech ! com>
Date:       2008-07-09 13:28:18

I've got some problem with the installation.
Finally all of them have been resolved, and I wish tell you about this
problems and how the problems was resolved to help other people.
Some ways to resolve this problem have been described in the list, but
personally I am not happy with the described way of fixing.

First of all the dependencies map on http://mac.kde.org/?id=download is
not good.

You must install kdebase-runtime to get icons in kde application. You may
have icons even without this package if the icons had been installed.
But you will never have the icons without the kdebase-runtime if you
install kde for the first time.

Unfortunately the package is corrupted, and you must fix the package (and
some other packages) before installation.

In fact there are two kinds of problem with the packages.
the first problem already described on the http://mac.kde.org/

> Note: A bug was found in the installer packages. Before installing, run,
> in a terminal:chmod a+x *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight

Without this fix some of post-install procedures cannot be ran.

There is one more bug in kdebase-runtime and ktorrent installer packages.

The destination folder is /opt/kde4, and it is usually owned by root
because it out of home folder.
it means that you must have administrator privileges to install any of kde
packages.

Most of packages was marked as required the administration authorization
but this two.

To fix it you need to change Contents/Info.plist files of the packages.
- open file
kdebase-runtime.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
- find the lines
         <key>IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction</key>
         <string>NoAuthorization</string>
- change it to be
         <key>IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction</key>
         <string>AdminAuthorization</string>
- save file
- do the same with ktorrent.pkg/Contents/Info.plist

You can do it with the following terminal command:
sed -e '/NoAuthorization/s//AdminAuthorization/' -i .orig
*.pkg/Contents/Info.plist

the command patches the files and creates backups of original files with
extension 'orig'

Note: keep in mind, that the commands should be ran in the folder where
install packages were stored.

After this fixes the packages can be installed correctly.

Enjoy KDE.

PS: One more time:
1) open the terminal application
2) go to the folder where packages were stored
cd [PATH_TO_THE_FOLDER]
3) fix post-install scripts permissions
chmod a+x *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight
4) patch Info.plist files
sed -e '/NoAuthorization/s//AdminAuthorization/' -i .orig
*.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
5) install packages

Dmitriy Buldakov