List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Netiquette (was: Mutating themes)
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-08-27 12:15:53

On Monday 27 August 2001 03:26, Wilco Greven wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 08:18:56PM -0400, Dave Leigh wrote:

> > Yeah, I know.  I use kmail and thread messages, too. Frankly, I didn't
> > immediately notice that these had run together because I also DELETE
> > messages after I've read them.  And if you go back to the archive it
> > looks like the top of the thread (evidently the archive threads by
> > subject.  For instance, your message is second in the archive thread
> > since I've changed the subject). So in the long run it doesn't much
> > matter, and it's certainly not worth any escalation of temper or
> > frustration on anybody's part.
>
> Who are you to decide that it doesn't matter? It does for me at least, and
> it does for Aaron as you read later on. And that you changed the subject
> doesn't mean that the thread ends there.

Please re-read Aaron's post. He appears to have understood my point.

FWIW, threading makes my life easier, too. As I said before, I use kmail, I
use threading, I also appreciate it when people thread properly.  But I
recognize that some people don't know better, and that some people who do
know better innocently screw up, and it's not worth pestering them about it.

Wilco, I did qualify, "in the long run," which simply means that as time
moves on this particular thread will so diminish in importance that it will
be lost to everyone's memory and your life will be unchanged by it.  You'll
graduate (or not) and your life will move on with total disregard for whether
someone here started a new thread or not.  There is no amount of complaining
that will force users all users to start new threads where appropriate. Nor
will any amount of programming enforce it, any more than impatience
will make the world go faster.

Because the archive threads by subject, it is fact that there is a new thread
in the archive. So I'm not making a decision, nor even voicing an opinion.
I'm reporting a fact.  See for yourself:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-look&r=1&w=2&b=200108

If it bothers you THAT MUCH on your local system, simply delete it.

Wilco, nothing I've said now or in the past has been intended to insult you.
As you have pointed out, English is not your native tongue.  I'm not sure
it's at all possible to inform someone that he's being rude without insulting
him in turn.  You know that, and so do I.  So learn to relax, get outside,
have a beer, watch a ball game, smell some flowers, learn Tai Chi.  Life is
too short to pull your hairs out for something that JUST. DOESN'T. MATTER.

Now, having said more on the subject than anyone should ever have to
say, I myself will quit the thread.

--
"We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it."
		-- La Rochefoucauld