List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-07-28 15:19:39

On Saturday 28 July 2001 01:35, Chris Altmann wrote:
> Dave Leigh <dave.leigh@cratchit.org> wrote:
> > However, "KStart"? I shall not freak out. I shall only point out that the
> > "Start" menu itself is more ambiguous than can be believed, and is a
> > usability JOKE. To quote my mother, "You mean I have to press 'Start' to
> > STOP? That doesn't make any sense at all!" She's absolutely right: it
> makes no bloody sense at all. That's one stupid idea that should NOT be
> allowed to breed.
>
> More ambiguous than 'K'?

No less ambiguous than 'K'.  A sample of what runs through a newbie mind
(let's call him "Vinnie"): "Start what?  Why should I start whatever it is
I'm going to start?  What happens when I start it? Will I be able to stop
whatever it is I just started? Will what I start be permanent? I made three
turns on a Rubik's cube once and then had to take it apart to fix it... will
it be like that?  I'd better go buy a Dummies book first!  I'M SO CONFUSED!"

Thus far Windows has had to deal with a completely different class of newbie
than KDE. To start with, the KDE newbie has typically managed to install KDE
on his machine, whether by itself or as part of a distribution.  The Windows
user MAY have unpacked a box and hooked up some wires (which these days are
color-coded).  BIG DIFFERENCE!

> To tell the truth, I mainly seen that 'Press start to stop' complaint in OS
> advocacy usenet forums and usability mailing lists. I've never had a user
> mention it. They seem to be able to shut off their machines without pulling
> the rug out from under the OS and causing a scandisk/fsck on restart.

I have seen no less than 3 live users confused by the "Start to stop" issue
andd several others who stated it gave them a moment of pause. Typically,
they don't have a problem with it AFTER they've been shown that THIS button,
in THIS corner is where you go. The actual name or shape of the button is
irrelevant: it just has to be in a particular default location with a
particular default shape so it can be readily identified a second time.  Then
it has to be shown to the user. Nothing more than a quickstart guide is
needed, since it only has to be shown once. It should be the first thing that
pops up on the first run after installation for each user, and there should
be a link to it on the desktop.  Furthermore, the Quickstart guide should be
PRINTED and included each boxed distribution or OEM installation that
includes KDE.

> If you look at what MS is doing with the Start 'Menu' in Windows XP
> http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/winxp_rc_gallery_05.gif You'll
> see they've made the 'Turn Of Computer' stand out from the crowd (and it
> isn't right above the button anymore :).

Yeah, this is one of the reasons my panel's at the top of the screen. The
other reason is that drop-down menus should DROP DOWN. <G>

> Try to think of Start as 'If you are looking for something, 'Start' here'.

Oh, I know how they want users to think of it, but even now you personally
feel the need to explain it, and have just done so.  That need is introduced
by the word "Start" itself. With a 'K' gear or a GNOME foot or Tux the
penguin, you no longer have that need for explanation.  All the user needs to
know is that this is the button to press, not how to think of it.

But if you want a short text for the button, "Menu" is better than "Start"

> After all, if your computer is already on, why would you need to 'Start'
> it?

Precisely.  You shouldn't.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld