List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Window focus and interruption.
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-07-26 10:38:50

On Wednesday, 25. July 2001 02:11, Andy Goth wrote:

>  And what about a dvd player?  It should keep the focus even if the user
> has been sitting on his thumbs for the past hour, so long as the movie is
> currently playing.

I don't think so. Why should I start a program while watching a DVD if I
don't want it to get the focus? And I'd want to see a dialog saying e.g.
"your CPU is overheated" even while playing a DVD.

> Because the meaning of activity is different for each
> application, it should be up to the application to signal when the user is
> actively using it and thus would not like to be disturbed.

I'd say it's sufficient to do a timeout wait for keyboard activities. The
main idea is to ensure that you don't activate random functions in the new
window and destroy something by typing text that belongs to another window
(type "kd" in the kmail window and you have deleted the complete contents of
the current folder).
Unimportant windows don't (or at least shouldn't) pop up randomly very often.

> Isn't there already some functionality like this somewhere?  Some way for
> an application to refuse to give up focus?  Maybe it should be used more
> often (on a configuration switch, of course, along with sensitivity values
> for maximum delay between keystrokes).

What if the program gets stuck while im the "hog" mode? Then it has locked up
the X session.

--
This project is so important, we can't let things that are more
important interfere with it.