List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Window focus and interruption.
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-07-24 13:00:45

hi..

> For example, after KDE startup I immediately start up konsole to do some
> command line work. Right in the middle of a keyboard command Kmail pops up
> (it gets started automatically at the beginning of my session) and takes
> over the focus. So the next few keys I hit execute random kmail commands.

this is _exactly_ why i love X's multiple desktops. i use KMail on desktop 6,
keep my main web browsing on desktop 1, and always have at least one konsole
open maximized on desktop 3.. 2, 4 and 5 are used for various other tasks,
and of course konq windows occasionally end up on other desktops too =) but
this way when KDE is starting up if i need a konsole i switch to desktop 3
(Alt-F3 here) and go at it w/out fear of being interupted as applications
pop up on all the other desktops.

moral: XWindow is best when used like XWindow and not like its MS Windows or
MacOS. that way we don't need to hack around things like apps starting up
because of session mngmnt and interupting focus early on.

now, for the rest of the session, yes focus-grabbing pop-up dialogs are
annoying and should only happen when the user is interacting with that
application (and even then should not interfere with user interaction in
annoying ways)

--
Aaron Seigo