List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Serious install UI bug?
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-07-09 13:36:08

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> The KDE updater ? I haven't seen that. Where is it in CVS ?

OK, so please excuse me for using the wrong terminology.

All I know is that the first time I launched KDE 2, *some program*,
presumably part of KDE 2, put up a dialog box claiming that it had
detected old config files from KDE 1, and recommended that they be
deleted. So I clicked the delete button. Goodbye to about 200 of my
files, thanks very much.

The end result is that I've had a crash course in the ext2 filesystem
and midnight commander, I've wasted four or five hours, and I'm less
complacent about believing that programmers know what they're doing. But
I have undeleted about 600 files from around the right time, now all I
have to do is sort them out and rename them. Oh joy.

[shrugs]
I'm not really so certain this is a UI misfeature. On reflection, I find
it difficult to believe that it was a *deliberate* decision to delete
the entire contents of the Desktop directory, I'm more inclined to
suspect its just an old-fashioned bug. If that's the case, then I
probably shouldn't have posted it to this list. Sorry.

In any case, the whole episode has left a sour taste in my mouth -- I
expect dangerous bugs from MS products, not Linux :-) So in fairness,
I'll take a few days to chill out and settle down, before giving KDE 2 a
good work out, UI-wise.

--
Steven D'Aprano