List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quick browser thoughts.
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-06-22 13:02:29

Sean McGlynn wrote:

[snip]
> > "Useful" is a major understatement. But I'm not sure how you think this
> > would work in "actual menus". How would (eg) the Edit menu "remember the
> > last open directory"?

[snip implementation discussion]
> I haven't looked at the panel/qb code so I don't know how it's implemented,
> but I doubt if it would be that hard to add something to enable storing of
> the location of the last browsed-to directory.

Yes, that's fine, but what I don't understand is the request that all
menus remember the "last open directory". I just don't see that the Edit
menu (for instance) even looks at a directory, let alone needs to
remember what the last open one was. Maybe I'm missing something, but
AFAIK "actual menus" in general don't have anything to do with
directories. Specific menu commands (eg Open, Save) might, but the menus
themselves don't.

> This type of thing is fairly
> common in many interactions. For instance, it is common for applications to
> remember the directory that a user last saved a file to, and to open the next
> "Save To" dialog in that directory.

I only wish it were more common.

--
Steven D'Aprano