List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Kwrite and configuration state.
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-06-13 14:58:29

Sean Pecor wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I think the manner in which Kwrite maintains it's configuration state is
> extremely confusing. Am I missing something? Here is what I'm talking about:
[snip]

Oh boy, what fun! We had a long discussion about global configurations
versus temporary settings etc etc etc around the beginning of May --
look for a couple of threads, one called "Configuration Standards",
another called "Suggested config guidelines". There may have been more.

I stand by most of what I wrote then. I believe that a well-designed
config system should -- and *can* -- allow both ease of use for the
beginner, plus power & flexibility for the more experienced user.
Document settings of course would be great, but without some sort of
metadata we're not likely to see it for non-binary files.

> Obviously, the configuration state of the last Kwrite window you close is
> saved. Ideally, if you change your global settings then all Kwrite windows
> should immediately update their settings.

Ideally for *you*. Not for me. I frequently have multiple Kwrite windows
open with different settings in each. It drives me crazy trying to work
out which setting will be saved, but not as crazy as it would make me if
Kwrite went around changing different windows' settings behind my back.

The easiest way to make both of us happy would be a little checkbox in
the Settings dialog called "Apply changes to all open windows". If this
was checked, then Kwrite would behave the way you want it to. If it
wasn't, it would stay the way it works now (which isn't ideal by my
standards, but I could live with it).

--
Steven D'Aprano