List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: What KDE needs at this point...
From:       Chris Howells <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-31 9:08:37

Jim Doen wrote:

> After installing the latest KDE tonight, I say that KDE needs an incredible
> graphics artist(s) to develop icons and backgrounds for its default look.

I would say it already has many.

> The lastest KDE is great -- however, it needs be more polished and
> professional-looking-- with better icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
> color-schemes.

I think the icons are good the way that they are. The issue with fonts
is more a general UNIX configuration thing, and what fonts you've got
installed in X.

> As much as I don't care for Macs, they are probably the best when it comes
> to color-selection, fonts, icons, and a overall professional look....
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/finder.html

I'd agree that OS X looks pretty nice. Why not try the Acqua theme for
KDE, available from http://kde.themes.org? Of course, you can also make
improvements to it yourself.

> At any rate, KDE needs cleaner/nicer icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
> colors-schemes for its default look (since more users leave everything set
> to default).

I think you should say *specifically* what you don't like, rather than
something very vague and generic like you are now.

Or draw what you consider better graphics yourself and see how people
like them.

> Make it easy to update to the latest and greatest KDE.

That sounds like the KDE installer. I don't know how it's going at the
moment.

> Out of the box, it should be easy to browse a Windows network and connect to
> Window's resources with KDE.

Again, that's more of a UNIX configuration issue than with KDE.

--
Cheers,

Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk
http://www.chrishowells.co.uk