List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Ideal programming environment?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-05-26 9:36:21

On Saturday 26 May 2001 00:01, Sean Pecor wrote:
|   Hello folks,
[...]
|   What would everyone consider to be the ideal setup or distribution?
| Versions? I'm looking to upgrade my ultra-hybrid (read: frankenstein) Linux
| 2.2.16 desktop to the latest or greatest libraries and applications. Since
| KDE2 B2 I've had no luck compiling from source (undefined references,
| etc.). I tried the Mandrake 8.0 rpms for KDE2.1 and X and kdmgreet crashed,
| no matter what I did. I had to retreat to my older KDE2.1 rpms.

That's probably because of glibc 2.1.3 (LM 7.x, RH 6.2) and glibc 2.2 (LM
8.0) mixture. And differences between gcc 2.95 and gcc 2.96.
If you have kernel 2.2.16, most likely your glibc is ver. 2.1
So, you need to download KDE 2.1 nor for LM 8.0, but for LM 7.2

Actuallly, my KDE (2.1) is self-compiled from Mandrake's SRPM, and I am
running it on LM 7.2, kernel 2.2.17, XFree86 4.0.2, QT 2.3

BTW: you can try my RPMs,  they are (still) available at:
Index of Binary RPMs
----------------------------------
http://www.astralon.ru/linux-mandrake/

Index of SRPMs
----------------------------------
http://www.astralon.ru/linux-mandrake/kde21-srpm.html

// it is different location from my KDE site, I heard that download speed
from it is quite ok.

|   I'm leaning towards ordering Mandrake 8.0 Power-whatever. If I just do a
| full install on top of my existing machine, will I be asking for library
| artifacts from older versions? Would I be ok? Would I be better off buying
| a new hard drive, copying over my /home/ goodies to it and starting over?

I think installing on top of your existing setup will work ok.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)