List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: A new paradigm
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-05-10 15:28:48

Sean Pecor wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 03:52, Hylton Clarke wrote:
[snip]
> > The question becomes, can there really be a perfect way of dealing with all
> > these different scenarios? If you pick up a book, you still have to open
> > the book the way it has to be opened, the words on the page are typed in a
> > specific manner and the flow of the pages is dictated to you as well. You
> > have to use the book the way it was put together. Why is it so unreasonable
> > to have the user actually spend an hour and learn the absolute fundamentals
> > of how their existing interface works?
>
> Because when a computer won't operate the way the average person wants it to,
> there is a perception that the computer is broken or that they broke it.
> There is no reason to learn how to use it because it is broken. If the email
> can't be found, then the computer lost the email. If a window can't be
> closed, then the computer is locked up. And so on. The goal of a useable
> interface is simply to make these scenarios less common, so more people enjoy
> their computers, and buy them, and buy the software and services that folks
> like you and I might build for them :).

Both of you are right. No, it is not unreasonable to expect users to
learn how to use their computer. But the aim of a good UI if to lower
the learning curve so that an ignorant (not stupid, IMO there is no such
thing as dumb users, only ignorant users) user might still get work done
without getting lost or having serious problems. Apart from an
incorrigable 1% or so, most users will learn, with time, quicker and
more efficient ways of doing things.

Until then, the software should help them avoid shooting themselves in
the foot, but without limiting unneccessarily what they can do.
Remember, your users know what *they* want to do better than you do.

--
Steven D'Aprano