List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2001-05-08 14:51:19

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 01:31:21PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> out of experience (from this internet cafe here running with KDE 2.1.1)
> the users are *not* capable of understanding that starting applications
> may take some time. The result is that they click on the konqueror or
> netscape icon 5 or more times which slows down the machines (diskless
> clients) even more. So what is needed besides the taskbar start
> notification is to also set the cursor to wait cursor. A new hourglass
> cursor with a pointer a la windoze would be the best option, this one
> can be black and white so this shouldn't be a problem to do actually.
> But changing the cursor is *very* crucial.

I don't like this at all. There must be a better way to make it clear to the
user that the application is starting up. How about a kind of titlebar with
the name of the started application which will appear when you clicked the
button. After a short period this titlebar then 'docks' into the taskbar (like
the animation when you minimize a window). This will attract the users
attention.

Greetings,
Wilco