List:       kde-look
Subject:    KWin configurability, and more kwin styles...
From:       Karol Szwed <kszwed () linux4 ! cs ! latrobe ! EDU ! AU>
Date:       2001-03-26 1:08:46

Hi interested parties :)

I have a few goodies I'd like to notice people of, such as my new Quartz
kwin client for kwin. Take a peek at http://gallium.n3.net/ (which
desperately needs updating, I know :) This missed KDE 2.1.1, but will be
in KDE 2.2 with any luck, and is in the cvs HEAD branch. It will become
much more configurable in future, such as replacing the block transition
with gears (via a user option), and other nifty configurable features.

I have already taken some small steps into making kwin clients (or decorations)
customisable and user friendly, such as adding toolwindow support into
quartz and win2k clients (with more on the way of being converted), and am
looking into adding customisable options for kwin clients like window button
tooltips, gradient types, titlebar/window border sizes (for accessibility
purposes), button positions, etc etc. We need input into what's most
needed/requested and in which clients :)

In future, if time permits, I will try to create a scriptable kwin
client in the light of sawfish/enlightenment/icewm etc. storing scripts in a
compressed XML format. (Yes, kde.themes.org rejoice. At least we're talking
about one now :) A bit like the current kwmclient, but not as cumbersome
or KDE1 oriented - much more flexible and powerful.

All available window settings will possibly be configurable via a
kcontrol module, which dynamically updates itself, depending on which kwin
client you are using (thanks dcop signals!). In future, it would be nice to
amalgamate the look'n'feel->style, look'n'feel->colour, look-n-feel->themes and
look'n'feel->window-borders control centre modules into something much
more integrated and user friendly. We need some ideas and some ui design
from willing people! This could wrap into a theme-ball or something of that
sort, to customise all settings into one, a bit like the current theme stuff,
but more powerful. :)

People seeking kwin clients should post some modern and fresh new
screenshots on a website, to give coders some ideas, as this has been the
hardest part - hence the lack of originality in some. :) Please be patient
and give constructive input until a scriptable kwin client is released,
with a designer (possibly). I would like to see a thread started to discuss
these issues, and to generate more original ideas/requests.

Let's note that the user always wins! Lets make kwin the best window
manager ever. Any constructive ideas and comments are welcome and
appreciated.

Cheers and many thanks,

Karol (gallium)