List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Icon Usability
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-03-24 9:14:41

Hi.

> Ask yourself this: do you think the regulars on this mailing list are
> representative of all computer users (including AOLusers and beginners)?
> If you do, I suggest you spend a little time on usernet :-)

No, but I bet they all know at least 3 people who are. For example, I am most
deffinitely _not_ representative of most computer users. But I know several
people who are. For example:

  1) Linux-using wife (ex win32er. used linux 5-15% of the time for a few
years, and exclusively since kde2 arrived)
  2) Good friend and co-worker who has one of those "I deal w/people" jobs
and spends the entire day in front of her windows machine. No Linux
experience.
  3) The guy at the bookstore who is into things like Linux and KDE, but only
at a literate user level. Knows how to compile software from tarball
(assuming no unexpected curve-balls), but that's his limit.

That list took ... oh ... 15 seconds to come up with. How hard would it be
for me to get them to take 15 minutes to take the test? Easy like pie. This,
I believe is the audience we really need to target.

On the usability list, one fellow posted about wanting the icon survey
accesable enough for him to get his win32 using room-mate to take. This is a
step in the right direction and it may prove to be indicative of the thoughts
of a lot of people on this matter. And if it isn't, we'll put the bee in
their bonnet, so to speak.

--
Aaron Seigo