List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Icon Usability
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-03-23 7:49:40

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> #if Ian Fung
> > Would you be testing the efficiency of the icons as well?
> > From that I mean the time it takes for users to identify the icon
> > (regardless of whether it is a positive match or not)
>
> Yes, very important. Suggestion:
>
> Have a 'control' lineedit so that you can see how long it takes the user
> to enter e.g. their own name. See how long they spend on each icon. Use
> your 'control' sample to weight their times for the icons. This way you
> get a fairly decent idea of how long it takes them to identify our
> icons on average, and you can also see the differences between icons.

Except, of course, for all those users who will be multitasking by
filling in the forms while browsing other web pages, cutting code,
reading email, etc etc etc, swapping from task to task as the urge hits.

In other words, the sort of person who goes to kde.org is the sort of
person who also multitasks. On average, of course, on average.

Timing the task has a technical solution, but not a practical one, since
you can't control for Joe User getting up to make a cup of coffee or
watch a Babylon Five marathon in the middle of the task.

--
Steven D'Aprano