List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Klipper [ was Re: Icon improvements. ]
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-03-11 21:26:53

On Sunday 11 March 2001 13:00, Sergej Malinovski wrote:
> Dave Leigh wrote:
> > I would LOVE to use them.  The Windows key should open the K menu, and
> > the Menu key should have the same effect as right-clicking on whatever's
> > selected (or the text cursor position.  NOT the mouse cursor position,
> > since you've got the right button on the mouse for that).
>
> See KDE FAQ, section 9.7. "How do I use the three extra keys on my Windows®
> keyboard in KDE?"
>
> What still bothers me, is that I cannot use the extra keys as *modifiers*
> (as meta/super/hyper etc.) because Shift, Ctrl and Alt are hardcoded in the
> Key Bindings dialogs, or so it seems. I would rather see a key grab
> configuration (like in Sawfish) where *any* key combination (which can also
> be combined with mouse actions) can be registered. I think it would also be
> easier to make the bindings (instead of checking and unchecking the
> checkboxes). How about proposing this change to developers?

There are a couple of things that bother me.

1. You'd think that you could map the same action to more than one key by
assigning both keys the same value with xmodmap.  This does not work for me,
so I must assign a different function to the left and right Windows keys
(keycodes 115 and 116).  Not a big deal, I mapped one to the launch menu and
one to the window operations menu.

2. Pressing the window operations menu key a second time does not dismiss the
menu, as it would with the mouse.  A work-around is to select move and press
Enter twice.  Shouldn't have to do that.

3. The menu key is ALREADY assigned to popup context menu.  It just doesn't
work anywhere that I've tried except for Kmail, and xmodmap does not help the
situation.  This should be active ANYplace that right-clicking would give you
a popup menu.

> > As I'm typing this, I notice that KMail already properly uses the Menu
> > key.

> Strange, the popup opens in the middle of the window :-/ That doesn't make
> sense. Perhaps I should sumbit it as a bug

While you're submitting, see above.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld