List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Klipper [ was Re: Icon improvements. ]
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-03-11 15:19:25

On Sunday 11 March 2001 10:54, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Second attempt at sending this -- I managed to crash Netscape the first
> time, experimenting with the way it handles keyboard accelerators and
> shortcuts. My conclusion? It doesn't handle them very well! :-)
>
> Sean Pecor wrote:
> > I don't know why, but this doesn't happen on my machine. If I select a
> > line of text, then CUT, then select another line, then PASTE, the cut
> > line replaces the selected line. I have experience what you describe but
> > I can't recall how I triggered it.
>
> What app(s) are you using to get this behaviour? On my machine, the
> biggest culprits are KWrite and Kedit.
>
> > > I've gotten into the habit of clicking the icons, because I believe the
> > > Ctrl key is misplaced. It is easier for me to use the mouse than it is
> > > to type Ctrl-[key].
> >
> > I guess this is an ergonomics and preference issue, because I love where
> > the CTRL key is placed on my 107 key keyboard.
>
> What is your keyboard layout? On my keyboard, it is:
>
> [ctrl] [windows] [alt] [spacebar] [alt] [windows] [menu] [ctrl]
>
> I don't use the windows or menu keys, not even under Windows, and in
> fact I think they are a nuisance since I'm always hitting them by
> accident. But I suppose some people find them useful.
>
> Just on the off-chance that they could be useful, is there a way of
> enabling them under KDE? Does anyone use them?

I would LOVE to use them.  The Windows key should open the K menu, and the
Menu key should have the same effect as right-clicking on whatever's selected
(or the text cursor position.  NOT the mouse cursor position, since you've
got the right button on the mouse for that).

As I'm typing this, I notice that KMail already properly uses the Menu key.
However, Kwrite and Kedit, Kword, etc. do not.  It should be globally
enabled, even on the desktop.

> > I can easily hold the ctrl key
> > down and press the cvx keys that are close by.
>
> I suppose ctrl- X C or V aren't too bad, but almost any other key? --
> forget it, instant RSI!
>
> On my old Mac, with the Command key where the alt key is on this
> keyboard, I used to use command-shortcuts all the time. Since migrating
> to Windows/Linux, I practically never use them, not even for simple
> things like Save.
>
> At the risk of being howled down, I don't suppose there is any chance of
> a global setting to reverse the functions of the ctrl and alt keys?
> Under Windows-mode, ctrl would be used for shortcuts and alt for
> accelerators, and under (umm, not sure what to call this -- maybe emacs
> mode? Netscape mode?), ctrl would handle accelerators and alt would
> handle shortcuts.

I think it's a fine idea.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld