List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: The Copy/Paste Problem
From:       Sergej Malinovski <sergej () nospam ! dk>
Date:       2001-03-09 22:40:55

Henry Stanaland wrote:
> So basically, what you are saying is that we only have ONE clipboard
> type thing, and middle-click is just a "hot-key" for "Ctrl-V"?

Yes, and that there shouldn't be automatic copying of selection to
PRIMARY (to use terms from the clipboards.txt).

> really like how it is SUPPOSED to be:

I do like it too, but I would like it even more if there was only SECONDARY.
Well, in the end, I would rather see middle button being configurable like
with Logitech Windows drivers.

Pasting with only one click of a button is convenient -- I've got use it. But
if it so convenient to paste with it, why do I have to copy text in some
special way instead of the most convenient to me way? That's where the
confusion comes in! "Is it paste? Yes, it pastes text. It doesn't. No, of
course not, it pastes specially copied text! Huh!?" See, I don't want to be
an "expert user" to use the middle button as paste, I just want it to be
paste like every other paste (paste is paste, or is it not?), wether you call
it PRIMARY, SECONDARY or... you know. Think about new users here as well.

Enough of this la-la :) We have to ask ourselves: What does the introduction
of a separate copy/paste buffers adds?

> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt

Good read.