List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: User Interface.. If you ever wrote or will write a software GUI, then READ THIS!
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-09 13:31:32

On Friday 09 March 2001 05:41, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Yes, the reasoning against scrolling list selection is not very
> elaborated. But I agree that there could be a little more visual
> feedback about the relation of what is shown and how to change this by
> the list. Have no idea :(

I've got a suggestion, and it's based more in logic than my earlier
copy/paste icon thoughts :)

What about stacking a skewing 'n' number of layers? In other words, if I had
a scrolling window with room for 20 items, and placed 100 items in that list,
I'd see the first twenty. But then if you displayed the NEXT 20 underneath,
and to the left so perhaps 5% of each line is showing then I'd immediately
understand that scrolling would display that information. It's sort of hard
to describe in words, but I don't have time to mock it up. Anyway, I think it
would work well but be hard to implement.

Another way would be to fade out the top 'n' and bottom 'n' number of lines,
so that the visual cue implies a cylinder that can be "spun".

> Hopefully kmail won't become a do-everything-in-one-place monster. But
> for the control-everything-in-one-place center (having this option
> sometimes pleases me) I am your man.

I'd like much more integration between Konqueror, Kmail, KOrganizer, Kab and
so on. But I wouldn't want to tie everything together completely because then
you're waiting on the entire package to be released to get a fix or feature
for one small tool :)

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.