List:       kde-look
Subject:    Drag and drop indicator
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2001-03-08 20:26:18

Hello,

While reading about the XDND protocol I came across the following
comment from John Lindal:

    "In my opinion, programs should not change the cursor during the drag
    because this provides the user with the most consistent picture. The
    user is always dragging the same data, regardless of whether or not
    the current target will accept it. It is the target that should
    change to show whether or not it will accept the drop.

    However, if you want to be Microsoft compliant, you have to
    change the cursor. As usual, Microsoft got it backwards...

    The single exception that I endorse is adding a small symbol to the
    cursor to show that the requested action will be performed, instead of
    XdndActionPrivate. For an example, refer to the page on dragging
    files."

I have always found that changing the mouse cursor was very distracting, so I
wholeheartly agree with this comment. What do you guys think about this?

Greetings,
Wilco