List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File Associations
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-08 10:39:39

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 07:31:33PM -0500, Henry Stanaland wrote:
> 1.)
> I don't know if this is just my machine, but does everybody have
> lots of duplicate entries in their "File Associations"?  I have
> two "wav," two "x-pn-wav," and two "x-wav."  If I try to
> delete any of the duplicates, they go away temporarily, but
> as soon as I open the control center again, the duplicates are
> back! (This also happened in KDE 2.0, but I was hoping it
> would go away in 2.1, which it didn't).  I am suspecting that
> somehow it is reading global/root mime-types as well as
> user specified ones.

It looks like those come from realplayer. They are .kdelnk files, not
named .desktop and somehow the filetypes configuration doesn't manage to
overwrite them (it only manages .desktop files). Then you end up with
x-pn-wav.kdelnk and x-pn-wav.desktop. kbuildsycoca seems unable to merge
those two in the sycoca file. I'm not sure if it should, or if the
filetypes module should try harder to modify the .kdelnk file.

Waldo?

> 2.)
> Is haveing "wav" "x-pn-wav" and "x-wav" necessary?
> (I can see how this may be)

Ask Real Networks about that :) KDE ships just one mimetype for wav.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer