List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Virtual resolution windows.
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-03-01 20:47:35

On Wednesday, 28. February 2001 20:09, Sean Pecor wrote:
> I agree. My original thought was to stay in the high resolution mode, but
> simulate a lower resolution mode within any window by scaling dynamically.
> Of course, this would be computationally expensive! This additional
> application layer would be transparent, and would translate x/y coordinates
> for mouse positions, etc. Not a small task, but one that could be used to
> support additional display devices without adding additional bloat to
> existing applications (it would be of particular benefit to the visually
> impaired, if it could scale up an existing "legacy" application window by
> 300% making words easier to read, etc.)

Perhaps the X video extension can be used for it? It can be used to render
something to an off-screen buffer and let the video card scale and display
it. That's what Windoze also does e.g.  when you have a TV card or when
viewing a DVD. Unfortunately, this is not yet supported very well by XFree86,
but couldn't this somehow be used to draw a window into off-screen video
memory and then let the video card scale it without any speed loss?