List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Download
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-02-24 8:27:10

Am Freitag, 23. Februar 2001 19:31 schrieb Mark Hillary:
> Ok, I have been reading this tread and have an idea (doen't happen
> often)
>
>  From what I understand the two sides of this are ease of use
> agansit sericurty. One side wants all downoaded file to have the
> excutable bit set and the other thinks not. Well, could it be setup
> so that different file types that are downloaded have different
> permission bits set, and this could be configurable from konquerer.
> So that .sh or .run files have the excutable bit set and .gifs (and
> so on) don't. But when kde is first installed all download files
> don't have the excutable bit set, they just have the default bit
> set. This would me the user would have to make a decision to change
> this (it would be their choice).
>
> Mark Hillary
I've had another Idea how we could resolve the security vs. usability
conflict here. How about a helper application that is executed for every .sh
and .run file and if the executable bit isn't set, asks the user if he really
wants to execute that file. Following this, the app would change the bit and
execute it.

I could write this and send it to kde-devel, so if you think it is a good/bad
idea please tell me.

Klas