List:       kde-look
Subject:    Idea for KNotify Applet
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-02-23 16:56:16

Hi!

A while ago there was some discussion about nasty message windows
popping up and stealing input focus and work flow...

What about this: An applet is collecting all the message/quering windows
that don't belong to the actual application and aren't critical. It
displays them for a short time in a list on screen which is on top but
doesn't get focus. If the user thinks something to be important he can
access the full message immediatly by clicking on the item. Or he could
access the message later by clicking on the applets symbol which will
then show the complete list of unhandled messages. No, I haven't
implemented it :( only gimped it...

Messages like "no paper..." might disappear as soon as the printer is
given new paper without having to click on the message of course.

Maybe for simple messages with no interaction there could be a delete
button right to the item so a message which is uninteresting could be
removed with a single click (hopefully Amazon's lawyers are not on this
list ;)

Could this be integrated in the KNotify system?

Perhaps this could also be adopted by mail notifier which show up
special (by filter) emails. In my example I integrated it :)

Any comments?

Friedrich

PS: I hope attachments of that size are okay... I myself are always
disappointed having all the mails downloaded and disconnected and then
finding out there is a link in a mail to some nice picture...
["info.gif" (image/gif)]